Friday, April 1, 2011

Spelling Lesson For My Daughters

My dear sweet precious Hailee and Rhylee,

I remember the day each of you were born.  I felt like angels were singing when I saw your beautiful faces for the first time.  I was overcome with joy and love for you and dreams of what our future as a growing family would hold.   I began to realize the depth of my responsibility to teach you and train you to be bright and intelligent young women, and that is what brings me to today's lesson.  Your older sister is in school now where she learns to read and write, add and subtract.  But you two precious girls have not entered into this great season of learning yet.  So I feel compelled to give you your first spelling lesson.  It's a big word, but you are both such brilliant children that I'm sure you will have no problem mastering it.  The word is spelled:

S-L-E-E-P

That word spells sleep.  Wikipedia explains it this way:

Sleep is a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or absent consciousness, relatively suspended sensory activity, and inactivity of nearly all voluntary muscles.[1] It is distinguished from quiet wakefulness by a decreased ability to react to stimuli

I don't expect you to understand all of that, so let me put it in much easier "mommy terms."  Sleep is what you do when it is dark and you are in your beds.  You should close your eyes for 8-10 hours without opening them.  If you do open them, you should roll over and close them again without getting out of bed.

We are going to have to work on not only spelling this word but putting it's meaning into practice.  Although you both know how much I adore your glorious faces, I really don't want to see them at 2 am and again at 3 am because mommy is trying my best to master the fine art of sleep.

Hailee, it breaks a mommy's heart to hear her child cry, but when I find you sobbing in the bathroom at 3 am because you can't reach the toilet paper, well, this mommy heart is not nearly as sympathetic as I would be at...say...8 am.  And Rhylee, I am endlessly thankful for your affectionate nature, but no amount of kisses and hugs while you make your way up my body to my pillow will be as appreciated as if they waited for 5 or 6 teensy weensy hours.

Girls, mommy wrote yesterday about trying to have a good attitude even when I'm tired, and although I pulled off a compassionate attitude in the wee hours of the morning, Jesus is going to have to help mommy today because mommy is already counting down the minutes until nap time.


So my sweet, angelic youngest daughters, as I close this letter, I pray that you will find it in your giving hearts to sleep tonight.  If not, we will have to have another spelling lesson tomorrow.  And that word will be:


B-E-N-A-D-R-Y-L


Love,
Your ever thankful, slightly sleepy Mommy

1 comment:

  1. "This too, shall pass." Lizzy finally (this year) stopped getting me out of bed every time she visits the bathroom in the middle of the night. It was very nice to lay in my warm bed and not have to get up to help. I love your stories.

    ReplyDelete