Thursday, March 31, 2011

Living in Celebration

There is a new song that I have become addicted to.  You have probably heard it.  The lyrics are:

Oh happy day, happy day
You washed my sin away
Oh happy day, happy day
I'll never be the same
Forever I am changed


It's one of those upbeat songs that makes you want to get up and dance wherever you are: in the kitchen (where my kids join in) or in the pick-up line at school (the other parents think I have lost my mind) or at the computer while balancing bank statements (the time when I need life to be put into perspective the most!).  It's just a great song!  It's a celebration. 

I like lots of different kinds of music, but I have realized that music affects my mood, my attitude.  Music is powerful.  I am not one of those people who will lecture about how Christians should only listen to "holy music," because I listen to other things too.  My girls have listened to Justin Bieber and Kidz Bop, and I have a couple of country stations programmed in my car.  But I do realize that I have to be careful what I fill my mind with.  When I finish listening to some country songs, I'm about ready to key my husbands car for infidelity that DIDN'T happen, cry for children that I HAVEN'T lost, or get revenge on a friend who HASN'T hurt me.  Or I can listen to the other genre of music that goes on in our car/house: Disney Princesses...by the time Russ gets home I have convinced myself that everything we discuss that night should be sung to me in the form of a ballad.  I expect him to sweep me off my feet into my "happily ever after."  And then he is forced to hide the Disney princess CD's.

And that, my friends, is why I usually try to stick to worship music, and I am completely stuck on this song Happy Day.  I think it's the celebration of this song that I like the most.  There are so many worship songs that bring me to tears and repentance (both things I need quite often) but sometimes I think Christians forget the sheer celebration of what we have received.  The lines:

I'll never be the same
Forever I am changed

excite me, but they also challenge me.  It goes right along with 2 Corinthians 5:17 "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come."  There is a line that has been drawn in the sand.  If we have been saved (FOREVER changed) we aren't supposed to be on the same side of the line as unbelievers.  Can we associate with them?  Of course.  Can we love them?  Absolutely!  Christ wouldn't have it any other way.  But this challenged me to live a life that is OBVIOUSLY different.  NOTICEABLY different   A life so full of joy and celebration that those who haven't found this freedom could look at me and say, "hey, I want what she has."  Because those that don't have it, might be happy, but they don't have joy...true joy.

So here's the dilemma I have found.  Sometimes I don't feel like walking around in celebration.  Why?  Well, sometimes I'm frustrated, annoyed, and tired.  Yes, tired.  Two nights ago, my precious baby girl woke up from 3am - 4:30am (and no, I was not calling her a precious baby girl at 4:30!)  By 6:15am when my alarm went off, I was TIRED!  I was in no mood to celebrate.  Trust me, my kids can vouch for that one.  I was snippy and crabby.  However, after a little time listening to this song, life kind of came into perspective again.  I may be tired, but I am forever changed!  Forever!  All the junk that I had dealt with or been tempted by in my life was instantly taken from me and cast as far as the east is from the west on the day that I was changed, and I will never be the same.  Somehow, that made whinny kids, telemarketers, unresolved bills and dishes seem a lot less stressful.  Life, the life I was meant to live, was once again brought into perspective.  

So that is what I have done for 2 straight days.  Every time I feel overwhelmed, stressed, tired, (insert other emotions here) I have turned on this song and simply celebrated.  Because I think that gets forgotten too often.  Sometimes, it's just time to celebrate...because we are FOREVER CHANGED!  Join me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW2qpMVO7oY 



 

1 comment:

  1. I sure do like music too.....
    When I was going through a very difficult time after a miscarriage I didn't know how to walk through this even with the Lord. I had never walked this way before. And then there was a song that spoke to my heart and I sang it so often during that season and now when things seem hard...'In moments like these I sing out a song a love song to Jesus, saying I love you Lord'......now understand I did not pick out this song because it doesn't seem to fit....but He gave me the song for the night time..... way to go Jaci....on a lighter note I like bagpipes and have 45min. of bagpipes.....someone told me I needed to get a life :) thanks Jan

    ReplyDelete